Detoxing the Liver with Barley Grass
The human liver is often overlooked when it comes to self-care. However, the liver plays a major role in helping us move about in our everyday lives. A person cannot survive if the liver stops functioning for one day! As the largest internal organ of the human body and a container for extra minerals and vitamins, it is important to keep the liver healthy so that it can perform its functions to keep the body running at optimum health.
The liver weighs about 3 pounds and is located above the stomach; while it has over 500 functions, its main jobs include filtering out dangerous chemicals, helping break down food you eat, and building proteins that keep your body in good repair. Over time, it is possible for the liver to become overworked because of toxic buildup resulting from the dangerous chemicals it filters out.
Symptoms of an overworked liver include fatigue, memory issues, breakouts and/or acne, anxiety, and headaches, and in the long-term, an overworked liver can possibly lead to liver cirrhosis, hepatitis, and fatty liver. The good news is that there are things you can do to keep your liver healthy!
Barley grass can help protect the liver and improve liver function and has been used for medicinal purposes since 7000 BC, including treating and detoxifying the liver. Barley grass powder can repair damaged liver cells, improve liver detoxification, prevent viruses from harming human livers, and prevent the increase in transaminase (enzymes that help the liver perform its functions).
The reason barley grass is so effective in protecting and improving liver function is due to several of the nutrients barley grass contains. Chlorophyll, amino acids (glycine and arginine), and antioxidants (beta carotene, saponarin, and 2-O-Glycosylisovitexin) can all be found in barley grass and have properties that benefit the liver.
- Chlorophyll can help prevent the cancer-causing effects of aflatoxin (produced by certain species of fungus found in mold grains and legume) on the liver.
- Arginine neutralizes ammonia which helps detoxify the liver.
- Glycine (also an antioxidant) protects the liver cells.
- Beta carotene helps stimulate the elimination of waste which contributes to the detoxification process.
- Saponarin exhibits antioxidant and liver-protective effects.
- 2-O-Glycosylisovitexin (2-O-GIV) helps prevent the formation of fatty liver and liver cirrhosis by preventing the formation of acetaldehyde and malonaldehyde.
It’s been said that the Greeks considered the liver as the home of all human emotions and the organ that is closest to divine presence. Show your liver a little extra love with some barley grass powder. A ready-to-drink barley grass water is an easy way to incorporate barley grass powder into your daily routine. Your liver, and emotions, will thank you!